Fuyuan Baoan Temple was built during the years 1888 and 1889 in the Bazizhuang area (now comprised of Fuyuan, Fumin, Fuxing, etc.) for the Qing military premier Xie Fang-rong. Because the Xiahai City God is worshipped there, it is also called the City God Temple, and is the oldest City God Temple in the Hualien area.
The location of Baoan Temple happens to be in between where the Han Chinese and the Ami live. It was originally a tiny thatched hut. However, during the Japanese occupation, due to donations from the town residents, it became a stone temple of about 10 to 12 square meters. Currently, the temple has a dragon-tiger wall that was donated by the townspeople in 1929. Today's Baoan Temple, constructed of reinforcing bars and concrete, underwent continuous renovation from 1940 to 1972.
During the Second World War, the Japanese-led government in Taiwan promoted an "Imperial Civilization Movement", in which they tried to encourage the people of Taiwan to accept the Japanese Shinto religion. The residents of the Bazizhuang area, fearing that the city god of the Baoan Temple would be damaged, sent this golden idol to Wayaozi, located at the foot of Fuxing Mountain, where it was temporarily worshipped while hidden under a large jiadong tree. After retrocession from the Japanese, it was returned to the Baoan Temple. In order to commemorate the idol's protection at that time, every year on the thirteenth day of the fifth month of the lunar calendar, which happens to be the city god's birthday, the god-patrolling activity always includes passing by the idol's former refuge at the foot of Fuxing Mountain.
The city god's birthday is the Baoan Temple's annual grand event. Every year, there is a grand temple fair and an area patrolling activity. In addition to the patrolling activity on the thirteenth day, a "night visit" is held the evening before, which is a traditional practice rarely seen in other areas. One can hear the unceasingly loud noise of the adherents dancing to large drums, holding athletic competitions, and sounding noisy gongs and drums. In recent years, through the support of local historians and the Tainan Ten Drum Art Percussion Group, this activity, which started out as a local temple drum activity, has gradually become a national activity involving Taiwan's temple drumming groups. Consequently, this traditional folk activity has been infused with new cultural life.
Address:No.239,Fumin Village, Ruisui Township, Hualien County 978, Taiwan (R.O.C.)(Take the road on the west side at 260.3K, Provincial Highway No.9)