Yuli Xietian Temple was built in 1875, and has over 130 years of history. Because the god Guan Yu is mainly worshipped here, this temple is also called "Guan Yu Temple". This temple is the most representative of Yuli Township's temples.
The reasons for the building of Xietian Temple are related to the opening up of the Batongguan Historic Trail. During the Qing Dynasty, in order to better manage and communicate with those people living on either sides of the mountains, a road was opened in 1875 that went from Linpipu (now known as Zhushan) in Nantou to Pushige (now Yuli) in Hualien. This road became known as the Batongguan Historic Trail. After Commander Wu Guang-liang, who supervised the road construction work, came to Yuli, an epidemic broke out. Thus, he built a small temple for the purpose of asking for blessings from the god Guan Yu. He personally hung a horizontal inscribed board with the words, "To protect the area beyond the mountain" in the temple. This small temple was the forerunner of today's Xietian Temple, and the board hung by Wu Guang-liang is now in the temple's main hall.
The gateway archway of Xietian Temple is built in a traditional Chinese style. There are two stone carved lions, traditionally used to guard entrances, standing majestically on each side of the arch, which look fierce and lifelike. During the twenty-fourth day of the sixth month of each lunar year, until the middle of the seventh month, the Guan Yu god's birthday is celebrated. This is Xietian Temple's liveliest time of the year. The large-scale temple fair activities attract many believers to come and participate, and on the outside are countless sellers and vendors providing all kinds of delicacies, snacks, and special products of Yuli, much to the contentment of the buyers.
Address:No.75, Heping Rd.,Taichang Village, Yuli Township, Hualien County 981, Taiwan (R.O.C.)(Take the road on the west side at 289.5K, Provincial Highway No.9 to downtown Yuli)