The Antong Hot Springs are located on the north bank of the Antong River, which is on the border between Yuli Township and Fuli Township. They are situated in a secluded valley in a mountainous forest area, among beautiful scenery. In early years, the "Antong Warm Wash" became one of the eight great scenes of Hualien.
In 1904, as a Japanese gentleman was going up the mountain to pick camphor, he discovered the springs on the banks of the Antong River. By 1930, the Japanese had built a police guest house at this location, and also set up a public bathing pool, gradually developing this place into a major hot springs area until Taiwan independence. It was bought by local business people in 1974, and became the Antong Hot Springs Hostel. A new, modern building was only built this year, next to the highway, and the Antong Hot Springs Hostel was renamed the Antong Hot Springs Hotel. However, the business owners have also maintained the wooden bungalow built during the Japanese occupation period (located behind the newly built hotel). Both the outward façade of the building and the Japanese style rooms with their tatamis have been very well preserved. On one side, the old "Yuli Hot Springs Public Baths" sign is hung over the head of the entrance, which adds to the secluded and cheerful character of the whole building with its quaint atmosphere.
The Antong Hot Springs, which are almost completely clear, are of a faint alkaline, chloride, and sodium sulfide quality. They have a faint hydrogen sulfide smell. The temperate reaches 66°C, and the spring waters are plentiful. The outlets of the springs are located along the Antong River, covering 200 to 300 meters from start to finish. These springs are good for treating various conditions, such as skin ailments, stomach and intestine ailments, gynecological diseases, and wounds. In addition to the hot springs equipment set up by the business people here, the locals sometimes go to the river bank to dig holes which fill with water, providing them with open air bathing, and adding to the outdoor, country atmosphere.
The Antong Mountain Crossing Trail, built during the Qing Dynasty can be found near to the Antong Hot Springs. (During the Japanese occupation era, it was renamed the Hongcuo Mountain Crossing Trail). It starts at the Shimen River in Zhuhu Village, Changbin Township, Taitung County, and passes the south saddle of Wumaozi Mountain, crossing the Coastal Mountain Range, and going along the Antong River to Yuli Township's Lehe Village. The entire route is about 13 kilometers. In addition to its historical value, this trail, traversing through a completely pristine and natural landscape, makes an ideal path for health walking. It also provides another activity choice for the Antong Hot Springs area besides hot springs bathing.
Address:Lehe Village, Yuli Township, Hualien County 981, Taiwan (R.O.C.)(Turn eastward at 298K, Provincial Highway No.9, switch to Provincial Highway No.30 (Yuchang Highway), and drive on for 30km. If you take Provincial Highway No.11, turn westward at 96K, switch to Provincial Highway No.30, and drive on for 8km.)