Luye Kunci Temple is located in Longtian Village, Luye Township. It is a folk religion temple, and while the Golden Mother of the Jade Pond Goddess is mainly worshipped there, other deities are also worshipped, including the Sakyamuni Buddha, Guanyin Bodhisattva, the Goddess of the Sea (Matzu), Lady Linshuei, the Supreme Commander of the Central Altar, and the Syuantian Deity.
Kunci Temple's history had its beginnings in the development of the history of Longtian Village. Longtian Village is located in the southern part of the East Rift Valley, on a high-level river terrace, near to where the Luye River and Beinan River converge. The Ami were the earliest residents of the Longtian area, and they named this area "Wulyugan", meaning, "a place of many maple trees and flocks of deer". During the Ching Dynasty, many Han Chinese moved to this area, opening the land for cultivation. Because they saw many deer hunters and grass huts scattered everywhere, they named this area "Luliao", meaning "deer cottage". During the Japanese occupation era, the Japanese set up the two immigrant villages of Luye and Luliao. Japanese immigrants from places such as Niigata and Nagano were enlisted to come to Taiwan and cultivate sugar cane. Luye Immigrant Village was near to today's Longtian Village, while Luliao Immigrant Village was close to Yongan Village, located further north.
After retrocession from Japan, the residents of the immigrant villages all returned to Japan and the Han Chinese who had originally lived nearby moved into these villages in droves. In addition, many people from the Changhua, Yunlin, Chiayi and Pingtung areas also arrived here in succession, and the population gradually increased. In 1961, when the administration districts were realigned, Luye Immigrant Village was renamed "Longtian Village".
The current location of Kunci Temple happens to be where Luye Immigrant Village's Shinto shrine was situated. Consequently, many old trees planted during the Japanese occupation era surround this temple. The original Japanese Shinto shrine has long since gone, and all that is left is a foundation, upon which a pavilion was later built. In the early years of Taiwan retrocession from the Japanese, the Japanese took the Shinto shrine idols back to Japan, and the local residents worshipped the Earth God at the former Shinto shrine. In 1951, the residents added Matzu to their pantheon, and in 1958, she was joined by the Golden Mother of the Jade Pond Goddess. As the number of worshippers increased, the original narrow and crude-looking temple was rebuilt in 1980, becoming the Kunci Temple that has remained there to this day.
In 1960, before the rebuilding of Kunci Temple, Buddhist Master Jheng Yan, who had not yet been tonsured, spent two months at this temple learning the religious tenets. Thus, members of the Tzu Chi Foundation that Master Zheng Yan founded can be seen at Kunci Temple, coming to seek the roots of the Tzu Chi Foundation that go back to more than 40 years ago.
Address：Next to Longtian Elementary School, Longtian Village, Luye Township, Taitung County